Yes, on success the command I am issuing does not produce any output on the
command line and thus the $status variable should be blank on success. But
when made to fail MySQL does return an error on the command line yet the
variable does not hold FALSE as the manual suggests it should or anything
else. This suggests, as do a few posts I just noticed in the manual,  that
one cannot assign the output of system() and perhaps passthru() and exec()
to a variable. I think this is only possible using backticks, which I can't
use as this needs to be run in safe mode. So I guess I just need to use the
return_var as you suggested. Thanks!