I like the way php works now, but I feel that there are times when it might benefit to
have an application server dedicated to php. One example is extensibility.

Adding extensions to PHP can get harry, especially if you are working with multiple
servers and you want to stay up to date with the latest and greatest. Many times this
means reconfigurations and compilations. I think that some people might actually like
being able to make this painless. I don't know about you, but I rather code than
reconfigure something. We could easily leave this up to the sys admin's, but many
times, we are the sys admin's or the sys admin's don't want to do it. I can go on, but
I really believe that there is a benefit.

Java Servlets/JSP allow you to add a jar file into a directory called "lib". This
allows you to extend your application/server with Java code packaged up nicely into
zip-like files. You just package em up and dump them into that directory. That's what
I am talking about. Being able to extend the server easily and painlessly (Although
there will always be problems).

If we could have something similar in PHP, I think alot of people would think that
that would be cool. Dumping an extensions into a directory and modifying a
configuration file to load it on startup (or something similar) could benefit some of
us. I know how to configure/make/make install, but sometimes, there is a need for
something more so you can focus on the higher level stuff.

Check out JRuns or ColdFusionMX's web gui's for example. They let you configure all
sorts of stuff through it. I don't mean dump the way we do things now, just extend it
so that it might serve a different purpose for enterprise applications. I know that
this can be debated, but I think it would be cool to have an extra option like this
out there.

 Jimmy Brake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

one of the cool things about php is that you do not need a dedicated
application server or servers you just need php+apache and it will
outperform most application servers

we presently have 7 to 8 php+apache servers that pull data from up to 7
different DB's(oracle and mysql) simultaneously serving up everything
from CRM apps to content management to job boards -- we have one server
in front that round robins all the connections -- all our apps are built
to NEVER write anything to the file system and to write all data to the
DB's -- so that eliminates the problem of temp files being on one host
and not the next host

jimmy
asp provider