Thanks for your feedback. I've never worked on an open soure project until now, so I
still have a lot of research to do. I guess I should save all of this for general
discussions. I'll post something later, when I actually have something going.
Thanks Again....
 Manuel Lemos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Hello,

On 02/05/2003 09:44 PM, Edgar Castanedo wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. I know that this is going to be a huge task,
> but I am hoping that together with the nature of the Open Source
> community, we can build an app server which is comparable, if not
> better than one of the commercial app servers on the commercial
> markets. I'd really like to hear anyone else's feedback. Thanks for
> yours Manuel.
>
> BTW... a standalone daemon is exactly what I have in mind. I am in
> the process of creating the website for the project. I will have all
> of the info there. I'll post the link when it is up.

Here are a few tips for a successful Open Source project:

- Do not do it just to earn recognition in the Open Source community or
else you may be seriously disappointed. Do it because you really need
it. Once it is useful to you, chances are that it will be already useful
to others. So, focus on making it useful for you.

- Do not announce anything until you have it running doing something
useful. Forget about wasting time on putting a Web site up now. You will
just open expectations on something that you may end up realizing that
it is not feasible or you do not have the time and motivation to go ahead.

- Do no expect the world to embrace your project just because it is Open
Source. Most people do not really care if the source is open. What they
care is that the project is free as in free beer and is useful to them.
As for contributors, they will not appear any time soon and certainly
not in quantity. It is natural that in the beginning you will get an
average of 1 real contributor out of 1000 non-contributing users.

- Make it modular, not just because it is a good way to define the
project architecture, but also because it make its viable and easier for
other developers to extend your project without many dependencies on the
core of the project.

Finally, as in every software project, nothing happens until somebody
writes code, so do not get back here until you have something to show . :-)

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

Edgar Castanedo [EMAIL PROTECTED]