In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marc Boncz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes
>As far as I know the problem is another. These people will hardly
>bother sending an unwanted message to the owner of the form as with a
>lot of work (relatively) they reach only *one* person.
>What they want is with minimum effort reach large numbers of persons.

Actually, I am aware of that issue, and have it covered.

I am actually talking about the problem of having spam emails sent to
the site owner, which I assume is done "automatically", as I can't see
anyone sitting down and typing them in.

>This can be done by inserting extra recipients in the subject line or
>body. Therefore you should verify this, and remove coding fom it.

Or in the "your email address" line...

>For an example, see http://www.safalra.com/programming/php/contact-
>feedback-form/, paying attention to the $crack variable that is set...

This example is assuming that the sender sits down and types the message
in - I am really not sure that this is what is happening.

You know that you can POST to a remote site, as long as you know what
the variable names are.  This is the method that some genuine
organisations use - I am thinking of e-commerce payment gateways, for
example.  And I am wondering if this is what is done.

To hack the contact form, you just need to scrape the page, find the
field names and "thank you" page, and POST direct.

I am about to start an experiment on one of my pages, where the field
names will be changed automatically, and see if it cuts the amount of
incoming garbage.  But I am not sure if I am going in the correct
direction here.

>Marc
>
>(PS: reposted this message as it didn't appear first time. Hope the
>first post doesn't show up now it has been reposted...)

No, it didn't... <G>

--
Pete Clark

Sunny Andalucia