On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Beth Tucker Long - Treeline Design,
LLC <b...@treelinedesign.com> wrote:
> ----Resending as I realized that the ug-admin list wasn't copied.
> Beth

> I love these ideas, and I'm happy to help if I can. A few thoughts off the
> top of my head:
>
> 1. I love the idea of hooking it up to Meetup.com. There are a lot of user
> groups that use Meetup.
>
> 2. I think finding a way to include more details on the website on the user
> group events would be nice, like speaker name, location, description, how to
> RSVP, etc. It would also be nice to be able to include a logo for the group.
>
> 3. Perhaps having a way to search for user group meetings, conferences,
> events, within a certain distance from your location or postal code. Also,
> being able to subscribe to a list so that you are updated when a new event
> is posted within your search criteria would be awesome.
>
> 4. An easy way for companies to volunteer to sponsor a user group event from
> the calendar page.
>
> 5. What about a searchable database of speakers willing to speak (and
> speakers can note how far they are willing to travel) so groups can find
> speakers in their area. Also, speakers willing to do remote talks over video
> chat. I think this would be an invaluable resource for people trying to
> start new user groups.

These all sound great!

My only problem with using meetup.com as the canonical event source is
the fact not every user group uses it - and the fact its a commercial
product which we have absolutely no control over say in.
joind.in however is an open source project which would be easier to
cooperate with.

-Hannes