On Tue, 11 Dec 2018, Christoph M. Becker wrote:

> On 11.12.2018 at 13:42, Kalle Sommer Nielsen wrote:
>
> > Den man. 10. dec. 2018 kl. 23.01 skrev Christoph M. Becker
> > <cmbecke...@gmx.de>:
> >
> >> It seems to me that it might be valuable to agree on a common
> >> coding standard for *all* php.net PHP scripts, not only the web
> >> related ones, but also the helper scripts in php-src, etc.
> >> Therefore, it might be appropriate to discuss this on internals@.
> >> Perhaps we should even have an RFC about this.
> >
> > Perhaps, but I think its still a unified agreement from way back to
> > use PEAR CS for any PHP at php.net, what I think we should do is to
> > better advertise it for new contributors (I think opening the
> > discussion about a potential new CS is gonna be way too political
> > for practical no reason).
>
> PEAR CS has been fine, but it seems to me that it's pre PHP 5.3, if
> not even pre PHP 5.0.  Consider, for instance, the naming
> conventions[1], which completely ignore the possibility of
> namespacing.  And they mandate: “Private class members are preceded by
> a single underscore.” Furthermore, the header comment blocks[2] are
> too picky (and don't even support PHP 7[3]).
>
> If we want to go with PEAR CS, we should point out exceptions to these
> rules, and perhaps amend the PEAR CS slightly for our purposes.

Sorry, but PEAR is from 1999. The PHP world has moved on now, and it
makes perfect sense to use common PHP development practises. This
includes not reinventing the wheel by (re-)using Composer packages, and
using a CS standard that people currently writing PHP code are familiar
with. And that means using PSR-x. We'd want to encourage new people
stepping up and helping out like Peter is doing, and using modern
practises is going to help with that. People like shiny, and not 20 year
old legacy apps.

cheers,
Derick

--