> How about this script:
>
> <?php
> exec("bzip2 -d php_manual_de.html.bz2");
> ?>
>
> No, to be serious, I did write some mails on this list here, to
> stay with .tar.gz and I still think, it is the best for _all_ users.
>
> Gabor is right when he says, that Windows users should learn, but
> there should be an easy way for _all_ users. Since most Windows users
> are not familiar with command line tools, it is better to offer
> some format which can be unpacked via a GUI like Winzip.

OK, so let's get back .tar.gz [but please not that zip]....
BUT I think we should advertise the bzip2 format, by adding
a bunzip2 tool to the PHP win distro, and a batch file to
use to unbzip2 the manuals. So users with slow connections,
and a decision to learn, not just only use [which would be
IMHO the healthy behaviour of a programmer], can still get
the advantages of bzip2.

I beleive that WinZIP and other market leading tools will
only include bzip2 support, if bzip2 is used... That's how
it works. Still using zip means no need to further develop
that software, because it meets users needs... Just because
users don't know that they may use a format that's much
optimal in many cases...

Goba