ID:               16660
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: Windows xxxx
 PHP Version:      4.2.0
 New Comment:

Hm, I don't understand it either... But maybe... Maybe the HTMLHelp is
too windowish, and the bz2 compression too unixish? I think we should
stick to RARed Klingonese.

[2002-04-26 10:39:47] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

What is the problem with the HTML Help manuals? Why do we go too far??
BTW we already decided to provide .tar.gz files again, just it seems it
didn't make it to the generation system...

[2002-04-26 10:29:47] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I think the problem is a lack of choice. bz2 might be
better than other formats, but you (people at php.net)
are little going too far with bz2 and that HTML Help...

[2002-04-17 12:40:46] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Nope, this is a documentation problem.

[2002-04-17 11:42:30] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reclassified.

-Tal

[2002-04-17 10:11:32] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Recently there was a change in the archive format of the downloadable
documentation - from tar.gz and zip to bz2. A link to a FAQ article
describing archive programs for the Windows platform was added in the
left pane of http://www.php.net/download-docs.php .

The bz2 format is new and not common on Windows platform - which is
used by the majority of php users and programmers. Furthermore, the
linked programs "Ultimate Zip" and "Quickzip" do not work properly with
bz2.
Using the bz2 format violates the rule of "least astonishment" and is
harmful to the positive image of PHP as being user friendly.

Thus I propose to return to tar.gz or .zip format for the doc files.

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=16660&edit=1