ID:               16660
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: Windows xxxx
 PHP Version:      4.2.0
 New Comment:

Uh, it seems like I was the only one missing from
LinuxTag ;(( I still have examtime... BTW we already
agreen on providing BOTH bz2 and tar.gz but as only Jim
Winstead can modify this, and (it seems) he had no
time to do it, it's not done... ;((

[2002-06-10 06:13:45] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have brought this issue to Rasmus attention during LinuxTag 2002, and
he agreed that it is a Good Thing to go back to tar.gz or even to
provide both zip and tar.gz for download

[2002-06-09 08:05:29] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

There is still only bz2 as archive format for the HTML manual.
How about offering both and counting which format is downloaded most?!

[2002-05-21 17:16:23] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To make the point clear: HTML-help is great on Win-machines - so thanks
for the good work to the people who did it!

bz2 will be fine as soon as Winzip supports it.
For now: Let's get tar.gz back asap.

[2002-05-21 16:46:43] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We have special formats for PDAs, we have PDF which is
quite system independent. So I still don't know why we
have gone too far with a special HTML Help format?

BTW we already agreed on hosting the .tar.gz formats
again, just noone activated the builds and downloads
again...

[2002-05-21 15:49:37] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The problem with HTML-Help is that it does only run on "true" win
machines with IE4+, not on Unixes, PDAs or old Win machines (Laptops).
I.e. if you _organize_ your docs on a late win machine but _use_ them
on others you get problems with bz2. Why not offer _both_ formats bz2
and tar.gz?
Any religious reasons?
Once again, "least astonishment" should rule.

    http://bugs.php.net/16660

--
Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=16660&edit=1