> Cheers,
>
> This is a long standing TODO item (dates back to at least January 2002 -
> the time of the install file split, but the install file split itself
> was done in the spirit of this TODO item :).

I love this spirit :) Finishing TODO items!!
The install part is completly outdated and really need lots of work.

I agree with your process to move the files. For me, lets start working!
But there is a problem... You are moving the files from one dir to another,
but now the install part is organized by server and not by operating system.
The content will have to change in this move.
And the ID's will be lost, too.
for example, we have "install.apache2" that will be splited? to
"install.win.apache2" and "install.nix.apache2"

>    - move core configure options to an appendix (as was done with ini)
Totaly agree!

Nuno