I generally agree, but think that all the windows stuff should be
grouped separately from the unixy platforms, as installation there
is generally much simpler (stick the binaries in one place and
tweak a couple of config files).

+ Unixy Systems
 +  Apache
 +  ...
+ Windows
 +  Apache
 +  IIS 6 (Win2k3)
 +  IIS 5 (Win2k / WinXP)
 +  ...

The problem is that the different Unix variants have different instructions for Apache: HP-UX, Solaris, MacOSX. How do you think that could fit in here? I don't know myself therefore I ask :)

Looong time ago, I start playing around with the install files (but get never done ;-( )
http://www.holliwell.de/installpart/v1/

p.s.: the content is really a bit outdated as that version is one year old ;)

No problem, we can get the idea. Question is that Mac should be separated from the Unix stuff or should be below it. I would probably say: separate. But then again, it would be nice to have general stuff for platform, and then server specific stuff (thus having the apache quick ref under apache, and also the different unix stuff for apache under apache if it does not differ much). I have quite adopted Wez's outline :)

In case someone has time to code the orphan user note corrector extension to /manage/user-notes.php, we can do this painlessly.

Goba