On Jan 23, 2010, at 5:46 AM, Hannes Magnusson wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 08:25, Philip Olson <phi...@roshambo.org> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> What do people think about making PHP 5 a first class citizen? If done, we'd
>> no longer have phrases like:
>>
>>  - As of PHP 5
>>  - Since PHP 5
>>  - Added in PHP 5
>
> What about extensions, features and language things?
>
> http://no.php.net/manual/en/book.objaggregation.php
> http://no.php.net/manual/en/oop4.php
> http://no.php.net/manual/en/book.domxml.php
>
> And probably more..
>
> I'm guessing http://no.php.net/manual/en/migration5.php will still be
> around though?

Good point. I hadn't fully thought about this aspect and instead only focused
on the writing style. PHP 4 specific content could remain, but it'd be
designated as such. The entire point is to simply write about PHP like PHP 5 is
what everyone is using because currently we pretend everyone is using PHP 4 by
scattering notes like "As of PHP 5"  throughout. This is difficult to read.

Or, if people think we should simply remove all PHP 4 content entirely... my
conservative nature finds this scary but refreshing at the same time. In this
case, the migration stuff would remain because it's for PHP 5+ users. But then
again, I'm sure it refers to PHP 4 specific docs... ugh! I lean towards leaving
them.

increase readability of the PHP manual.

Regards,
Philip