On Jan 24, 2010, at 3:25 AM, Hannes Magnusson wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 07:09, Daniel Convissor
> <dani...@analysisandsolutions.com> wrote:
>> Hi Folks:
>>
>>> we'd no longer have phrases like:
>>>
>>>  - As of PHP 5
>>
>> There was a discussion about this a month or so ago.  (I can't find it
>> now.)
>
> It was about the OOP4 docs (which got moved to an appendix).

A good example, and probably the only aspect of the docs that would require
such a drastic change between PHP versions.

>> Personally, I like the history being there.  It is interesting to see how
>> things evolve.  Having this data there does no harm to anyone.
>
> I don't like inline history.
>
> If we can create a standardized changelog for all features, I think
> that would solve everything.
> Things like "As of PHP 4.3.0 PHP ships with a CLI[...]"
> (php.net/commandline) could be moved to a changelog "4.3.0 - PHP CLI
> was introduced" and that line could become "PHP ships with a CLI[..]".
> Or we could even add version information (like with functions) at the top?

Another great example that shows how difficult it can be to read documentation
that's littered with version history. The CLI docs border on being unreadable.

We don't have a nice way to list changelog history yet (for non-functions) but
it seems possible. A table? Adding version information on top feels difficult
considering all the different changes. Like for CLI, was it born with 4.3 or
4.2? Difficult to say, but an explicit changelog would clear that up.

Regards,
Philip