On Mar 31, 2010, at 7:48 AM, Adam Harvey wrote:

> On 31 March 2010 22:25, Christopher Jones <christopher.jo...@oracle.com>
> wrote:
>> It's not clear if/how these features are going to be re-included.
>>
>> I'd prefer to see them commented out.  Displaying mis-information is
>> harmful to the overall PHP project.
>
> Agreed. We can always reincorporate documentation for any features
> that are backported to the new 5.3-based trunk, but since most of them
> are going to be Unicode-related, I don't think there's any need to
> keep them user-visible for now.

Great feedback everyone! Replying to all here:

 - The word Next. Next (or NG) implies the next release, whatever that might
be. Although likely true, this feels misleading.
 - Trunk. Not everyone knows what SVN is, much less Trunk. We could link/teach
but ...
 - Commenting out stuff. Sounds reasonable. We use FIXME in several places, and
will do so here too.
 - Rewording. Reasonable for some cases, e.g. "Magic quotes are deprecated and
will be removed from PHP in the next major release."

I'll come up with a patch today [or tomorrow] that'll hopefully make sense and
take into account peoples concerns. It won't make any guesses, and we can
review it together.

Note: Our general policy is to only document things we know will exist (and
when), and we were once certain PHP 6 was going to happen.
Note: http://php.net/manual/en/about.phpversions.php

Regards,
Philip