Let me explain with an example:
1) Site User translate new file
language/predefined/errorexception/etseverity.xml.new and save it
2) Site ceate language/predefined/errorexception directory and
etseverity.xml.new file    NOT under version control
3) User with SVN account created same directory or one of parent
directories in SVN (not in online editor!) ,by adding same or other
files in this directories
4) svn up in RU root folder:
svn up
svn: Failed to add directory 'language/predefined/errorexception': an
unversioned directory of the same name already exists
5) no one file in ru directody updates

With regards, Alexander Moskaliov
ir...@irker.net