On Aug 31, 2012, at 9:25 AM, Hannes Magnusson wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Adam Harvey <ahar...@php.net> wrote:
>> On 31 August 2012 21:56, Daniel Brown <danbr...@php.net> wrote:
>>> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 6:16 AM, Hannes Magnusson
>>> <hannes.magnus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>    I don't know exactly what the solution is, but I do believe it is
>>> best managed in-house.
>>
>> On that, there seems to be general agreement. Message received loud and
>> clear!
>>
>> So, assuming we're going to keep notes as seems to be the consensus so
>> far: what can we do to make them more manageable? (Yes, I'll help
>> write code.)
>>

> Sorting notes by up/down votes will make it easier to spot what the
> general public also considers as good notes, and make it easier to
> killoff old no-longer-relevant notes maybe.

Although the user notes have been discussed many times*, I reckon
nothing new has been implemented because current ideas either don't
feel right and/or require too much work. So let's define what user
notes are for:

  - Original purpose: To find content, and fold it into the manual
  - Current purpose:  ???

I can only speak for my reasons for using them, which involve two
main points:

  - Finding examples
  - Reading about gotchas/workarounds

Why do other people here use user notes? Why do newbies use them? And
what makes a "good" user note? We each use our gut while determining
this now let's embrace it.

* https://wiki.php.net/ideas/usercomments

Regards,
Philip