Hi Randall,

> Alex, can that number of db files be reached (likely, not probable,
> impossible)???

No need to worry (I just wrote another mail, answering Henrik's
question).

In addition to those explanations, let me shortly show how this will
look in 64-bit picoLisp.

The internal representation of database symbols is quite different in
the new version.

In the 32-bit version, object names were something like '{34-a;7X}'.
That is, it uses a base64 representation of both the database file
number and the ID of the object within the file. The dash '-' separates
the file number from the object ID, and both of them consist of
characters 0-9, :, ;, A-Z and a-z.

In the 64-bit version, names are packed more efficiently internally, so
that they completely fit into a 62 bit word (pico/doc64/structures).

This results also in a different printed representation. Now the
database file number is encoded in a kind of hexadecimal number, which
uses @, A, B .. O instead of 0, 1, 2, .. F. The object ID is encoded in
octal. This has the advantage that the dash '-' as a separator is not
needed any more, because the file number digits 0 .. 7 are different
from the letters A .. O. With that, an object might look like {1},
{123}, {A45}, {CDE7654321} and so on.