( I sent this message earlier, but I think it got lost - apologies if
another copy turns up later).

On Monday 07 January 2002 6:35 pm, Geoff Burling wrote:

> For general discussion, though:
>
> --Network connections. Well, someone thinks this is important, since
> there have been a few articles about using a Palm OS device with a PPP
> connection: ;login had an article in the July 2001 issue, & I remember
> seeing a web article about this functionality (Nick Peterley on Linux
> Planet???). This section probably needs fleshing out.

I may have been a bit dismissive of the idea, and will happily flesh the
section out. I'm still not sure where it would be useful - if you want to
store the synched information on another machine, wouldn't it be easer to
synch to a Samba or NFS shared directory?

> --Desktop applications. Two you didn't mention:
>
> 1. Ical/Syncal. Currently unsupported, but might be useful to someone
>   needing Tcl/tk code for talking to a Palm OS device.
>
> 2. Wmsync. A docapp for WindowMaker/AfterStep that ``starts your
>   favourite sync program for your palm(TM) PDA. It displays a small
> animation when syncing. Thatīs all." Personally, althoguh I run AS, I
> don't find it very useful, since I can launch jpilot from wharf with a
> simple text entry.
>
> --Other software. Plucker, Angus Anslie's PalmPix decoder, & sitescooper
>   need entries here. I'll be sending my submission for a sitescooper FAQ
> to Sean offline.

Thanks for the pointers, I'll follow them up and include in the next update.

> --History of Palm OS devices. This is perhaps more important now than it
>   was before, since there are so many Palm OS devices with different
> levels of the OS & made by different manufacturers. (I remember David
> publishing a rant about a year ago about proprietary extensions Sony
> added to the OS.)

Perhaps rather than a narrative history, I should make this section a list
of Palm OS devices with their (approximate) date of introduction, OS level
and any particular quirks. I will definitely need more input on this one,
as I can't test all the available devices.

Incidentally, my updated HOWTO is now on the linuxdoc.org website.

Sean.