You are correct. I have only been totally blind for a few
years. I still
dream in full vision. I've been learning how to take pictures for about a
year.

I was a sculptor. I lost my vision slowly. I adapted and got an MBA. Four
years ago I left my job as a business consultant. I spent a while
considering what to do next. First I was a martial arts instructor. Martial
arts have been one of my methods of adaptation. That job made me realize
that the senses could be pushed much further than I assumed. Now I am
returning to art to apply what I learned from the last job.

Vision takes up an enormous amount of nerve bundles in the brain. It is
possible to rewire all of that to be of use to the other senses, as long as
you have a understanding of the data coming in. Like a baby learning to
see, sight is meaningless until the mind can grasp the information. I am
working on learning how to translate the other senses to a minds eye view.

enough background info, on to responding to your post.

I would still have some interest in light if I was blind from birth: like a
astronomer viewing objects in space using radio waves. I use sighted folks
descriptions of my finished photos to confirm or disprove what I envisioned
in my minds eye. The process of taking photos is an event for me not a
product. Once the product has been manufactured I involve sighted people in
the art process. Their descriptions of my finished photos help me sharpen
my senses to go out and apply what I have learned. I avoid asking for any
help in taking the actual picture because that would alter the photos by
making them from a sighted perspective.

I have learned to question my own assumptions and those of others. I focus
on exploring the range of my senses. this makes what I am up to more
conceptual art rather than photography. While trying to teach sighted
fighters to spar blind folded I learned that sight masks the other senses.
It is as if there is only a set amount of attention available. When sight
is removed the other senses don't become stronger. The brain just has that
area once used by sight available. actively attempting to rewire that area
results in a better ability to translate the other senses to minds eye
sight. I suspect the areas in my brain once used by sight would still show
up as active if studied with medical devices: (as if sight was stimulated
in a dream.
Conceiving this particular photo involved stepping in from the warm sun
into a cool bar. Sound gave a clear impression of the dimensions of the
room. I could hear the people at the bar. So they were easy to track. I can
track about 6-8peoples movements  at once before I become a little
overwhelmed. I like a complete range of black to white in most of my images
so I went to the coolest area knowing that would be the darkest. There was
no air conditioning running. Once in the back of the bar I listened for all
of the window openings and doors to the out side. Knowing where the
openings are allows me to know about the lighting. getting a drink was a
good excuse to investigate the bar area by touch. I returned to my seat by
a different rout to explore the area further. I moved to a lower seat to
listen for the reflected sound bouncing off lower objects. the people were
coming and going a little to quickly for what I thought was a pin hole
shot. I am still blushing the borrowed camera was zone plate. I waited for
some heavy drinkers to settle in at the bar. I setup slowly taking in as
much information as I could. as I was told by  a wise old Grandfather "
anything worth doing is worth doing slow". using slow speed film gives me a
wider range of reciprocity failure. It is more forgiving to errors in light
estimation.

Hopefully the above was of interest and answered your questions..

Pete

P.S.

the film