The debate is always on; what are you thoughts?

My background is that of a painter but I am also a science graduate so I
suppose I fall between two camps.  The how and the why.  I think there are
great similarities between science and art; one important difference though
is that the scientist has to prove his or her ideas to peers according to a
prescibed methodology of repeatability, causality and proof whereas the
artist's idea and resulting photograph, painting or whatever, is proven by
whether it fulfills the criteria set by the artist himself whatever they may
be.

what is pinhole about, what does it set out to do and how can it develop?