Chris Peregoy wrote:
 I would try to get a
> better fix on your pin hole size. I use a comparator as described in
> Eric Renner's book, page 113 and 114 with the use of an enlarger to
> enlarge a metric scale. Then figure for reciprocity failure. I always
> try to make an accurate guess first with meter and calculations, then
> after gaining experience I can usually guess without these aids.

 I've done all those things, except for precisely accurately measuring
the pinhole, and even there I doubt that my estimate is all that far
off. I've done pretty well with my five other pinhole cameras,
estimating the pinhole size  and making my way to a good guessing range
for exposures, with only one or two trial exposures in each case. The
point was that for this particular camera, even allowing a large margin
of error on my estimation of pinhole size, the range of exposure times
that would be predicted seems to be many magnitudes too long (even
without figuring in reciprocity failure) compared to the empirical data.
The question was, does anyone have any idea why that would be, and more
to the point, why there doesn't seem to be a logical function that I can
identify connecting the exposure times to how the negatives turn out.
After I could see that using the textbook rules wasn't going to get me
anywhere very fast, I started running exposure trials, taking the same
subject at 6 or 8 widely differing exposure times, taking careful notes,
but since there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the results at
the end of a week or so, I decided I couldn't spend any more time on it
until after I get this show up. I just wondered if someone had a bright
idea I hadn't thought of. My first thought was that maybe there's
something squirrely about this film, but later I read in one of the
books that it's considered a good film for color pinhole, so I guess
it's not that.
Katharine Thayer