On 11 March 2012 16:38, Érico Andrei <eri...@plone.org> wrote:

> On 11/03/12 00:42, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>

>> I agree, though that's a different topic.
>>
>> Please see the plone-devstart FAQ for the reasons why this *isn't* based
>> on ZopeSkel or one of its component parts. In short, the dev environment
>> setup needs to be as simple as possible if it is to try to deal with
>> potentially 'broken' environments (e.g. no working setuptools).
>>

> Yes, I read the FAQ and I agree with it but my criticism is that this
> brings another step, another layer, another page to read, another slide to
> presentations. New developers will love it until the moment they need
> ZopeSkel, Paster...

They are orthogonal. In fact, plone-devstart installs ZopeSkel for you, and
gives you hints about when and how to use it.

>> The buildout created by plone-devstart installs a 'safe' ZopeSkel so that
>> you can use that to create new packages.
>>

> I really tested plone-devstart and I really liked, but I'm already used to
> carry the whole (heavy) toolbox to work with Plone development. New
> developers are not, and after giving training sessions to them it becomes
> very clear that python buildout + zopeskel + paster + zopeskel.* is **too
> much** and plone-devstart will replace only the bundle python buildout +
> "zopeskel to create a new buildout".
>
> Just to be clear, plone-devstart is amazing, the whole plone-devstart +
> zopeskel + paster + zopeskel.* is the issue.

Possibly, although I'd argue a script like plone-devstart (or the
installers with added devtools) is a better way to get you a working
environment with those tools and lowering the install overhead, than
forcing a manual install of ZopeSkel (which is fraught with environment
danger). Equally, a simple script isn't going to replace everything that
ZopeSkel is.

Martin