Alban said:

> As for your suggestion of using an overloaded repaint(), I'm afraid it's
not that easy, as any call to the plot function will cause the whole buffer
to be "replayed" anyway.

I did an experiment replacing the call to repaint() by a call to update().
The result was that example 17 with -dev qtwidget was as fast as with -dev
xwin.  Of course, you lose all animation then and only get a snapshot of the
last completed result because unlike repaint (which is specifically for the
animation case), update drops intermediate results.  So to me that
experiment proves repaint is the sole bottleneck that causes the animation
speed issue (at least with the present design).

I don't understand your argument above concerning replaying the whole buffer
since the whole point of repainting just the relevant rectangle is to avoid
changing anything else in the plot that is displayed. Thus, it seems to me
if you use the overloaded variation of repaint supplied by Qt4 that only
repaints what has changed (i.e., it limits itself to just a small rectangle
that you specify when there is only one added point) the result has to be a
lot faster.  However, you know a lot more about Qt4 than I do so if I am
missing something (and repainting a small region is no faster than
repainting the whole plot) please explain where my analysis is going wrong.