On 2009-08-30 11:51-0400 Hazen Babcock wrote:

> Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>> To Werner, Hazen, and Jerry:
>>
>> Without decent colour maps, PLplot is pretty useless so colour issues are
>> release critical by definition.  Therefore, I hope all three of you with
>> access to OS X will give the current plspal1 issues on Mac OS X that were
>> discovered by Werner your immediate attention.
>>
>> Hazen and Jerry, do you confirm the issues Werner is seeing on Mac OS X? As
>> far as I know he has only tested for qt, but I assume this issue is device
>> independent.  Could you make sure your experiments (with revision 10358,
>> see
>> below) include the following experiments I asked Werner to try?
>>
>> On 2009-08-28 10:29-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>>
>>> So to summarize the experiments I would like you to try, please see
>>> whether
>>> -dev psc also produces the example 16 warning messages and please see
>>> whether can you reproduce similar issues for example 10 using -cmap1.
>>>
>>> Once the new warning messages have identified exactly where in the code
>>> the
>>> problem is occurring, could you please try a gdb session (or printf's
>>> scattered around plspal1) to see exactly what is going wrong?
>
> I'm not exactly sure what tests you wanted, but I ran examples 10 and 16
> using both the psc driver and the xwin driver and everything was as expected
> w/ no warning messages.

If you review the e-mail on this, Werner got error messages and warning
colours (red scale) meaning he could not read some of the cmap1 palette
files for example 16 on his particular OS X and hardware platform. The
devices he used for the tests were qtwidget and pdfqt. However, palette file
reading is done by the PLplot core and should largely be independent of the
device driver used (unless there is some nasty side effect between the two
that I am unaware of).  I would like that assumption (that he gets warning
messages and colours for all devices) confirmed by Werner by the tests
requested above, but he hasn't reported back on that request yet.

It appears you _can_ read those cmap1 palette files with no problems on your
particular OS X and hardware platform for -dev psc and -dev xwin, but I
would appreciate you also trying qtwidget and pdfqt (and other devices as
well) to show that on your platform at least there are no side effects
between cmap1 palette file reading success and the device used.