On 2010-10-01 19:12-0400 Hazen Babcock wrote:

>> Assuming that short time scale is possible for the next release, what
>> do the other developers here think about this possibility?  Would you
>> be against it (because you have a lot you want to develop and waiting
>> through a stable release cycle disrupts your plans); go along with it
>> without participating because of other time-commitments during the
>> next few weeks (obviously no shame is attached to that because of the
>> extremely short notice); or would you be for it implying you could
>> contribute some testing, bug fixing, etc., help during that time?
>
> I am against it, unless we can get pllegend (and plsmema) propogated to all
> the languages before then (as you mentioned below). Also I feel that the
> pllegend API should be stable, and I don't have the sense that it is right
> now. At the rate these things seem to happen I would guess this will take a
> month or more. Then there is the question of whether we'd like one more
> development release to make sure we are comfortable with pllegend prior to a
> stable release.
>
> I'd propose either:
>
> (1) Another dev release 1-2 months after 5.9.7, followed shortly there after
> by 5.10.0.

Hi Hazen:

Thanks for your thoughts on this issue.

(1) is actually fine with me.  Your point about how long it will take
to propagate pllegend is a good one, and I do have a lot of other
things I would like to work on as well. Finally, even though it
appears our next release cycle will be a developmental one, I still
encourage developers to do some activities associated with a stable
release cycle as well such as testing, bug fixing, and documentation
since that should help us to shorten the subsequent stable release
cycle.

> (2) Hold off on 5.9.7 for another 1-2 months.

Definitely not (2).  So please go ahead on Sunday (anticipating your