I had not used that set-up in a while and I do not worry too much
about the second page (indeed a font issue). What I did see - on that
particular display - is a slight but distinct difference between
the background of the plot and that of the legend. You may not notice
it, but it is there, whereas I thought the very same colour should
have been used.

Regards,

Arjen

On 2010-10-03 17:31, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2010-10-03 15:46+0200 Arjen Markus wrote:
>
>> Hello Hazen, Alan, all,
>>
>> I have just built and tested PLplot in a very old environment (Windows
>> XP with MSVC 6.0 as the C compiler) and I had to correct the wingcc.c
>> file for lack of SetWindowLongPtr() and GetWindowLongPtr() in that
>> set-up.
>>
>> While this worked, I did get some weird results with
>> pllegend():
>>
>> - The background is not exactly the background of the plot
>> - The second page of example x26 is mangled.
>
> Hi Arjen:
>
> Thanks for your tests.  The first page of 26 is fine; the pllegend API
> allows you to apply a background to the legend which I have done in
> example 4 and example 26.  The second page is "fine" as well in the
> sense it is consistent with the bad results for xwin here which is
> completely unaware of unicode.  So count your test result in the
> "good" column for this release.
>
> I mentioned the example 26 issue (extra large legend background) you
> see with all device drivers in the recent pllegend discussion. The
> horizontal space for the annotated strings is calculated internally by
> plstrl, but that routine currently has no idea about utf-8 (what the
> Russian strings of page 2 are written in) and thus grossly
> overestimates the space involved because it assumes every utf-8 byte
> is a (Hershey) character.  The solution is to convert utf8 to UCS4
> (like all other string input routines do), and for unicode aware
> drivers (e.g, svg, qt, cairo, and wingcc) have a variation on the normal
> (unicode) text processing that allows the driver to calculate how much
> length that UCS4 string will require to be rendered without actually
> doing that rendering.  That improvement should make the legend size
> exact for the unicode case, and more reasonable for the Hershey case.
>
> Another issue with your wingcc results is it uses the plfreetype
> method of rendering unicode that depends directly on the freetype
> library. That is available for Windows as part of the Windows GTK+
> package, but it appears from the example 26 results that you have not
> downloaded that package so wingcc has fallen back to using Hershey
> fonts instead (which give a blank for all unicode characters just like
> you get for xwin).
>
> Alan
> __________________________
> Alan W. Irwin
>
> Astronomical research affiliation with Department of Physics and Astronomy,
>
> Programming affiliations with the FreeEOS equation-of-state implementation
> for stellar interiors (freeeos.sf.net); PLplot scientific plotting software
> package (plplot.org); the libLASi project (unifont.org/lasi); the Loads of
> Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
> (lbproject.sf.net).
> __________________________
>
> Linux-powered Science

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message.
Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
The foundation 'Stichting Deltares', which has its seat at Delft, The
Netherlands, Commercial Registration Number 41146461, is not liable in any way
whatsoever for consequences and/or damages resulting from the improper,
incomplete and untimely dispatch, receipt and/or content of this e-mail.