On 2015-02-15 23:07-0000 Phil Rosenberg wrote:

> Hi Alan
> How do you perform the style changes and do you know if I can do the
> same with Cygwin.
> I just did a rebase and all my changes conflicted - presumably because
> MSVC++ uses tabs rather than spaces. If I can replicate the restyle on
> my commits before I do any further work I can avoid that happening
> again.

To Phil, Jim, and Arjen:

@Phil: Those conflicts from the rebase are expected from such an
intrusive change.  That was what I was trying to avoid by choosing my
timing such that you could abandon your old topic branch and start
with a fresh branch from master before doing any further changes
beyond what is committed to master so far.  Sorry if I didn't make that
clear.

@Jim: to avoid conflicts for your own situation, I also suggest
you start with a fresh topic branch rather than rebasing your
old topic branch.

@everybody: It indeed would be best if all of would style your work
before you commit it, and Cygwin certainly gives you that opportunity.

@Phil: So to answer your specific question, the prerequisites for
scripts/style_source.sh are bash, python, and uncrustify version=0.60
exactly.  (That exact version is required because actual style changes
by uncrustify depend strongly on uncrustify version so the script
checks for exactly that version.)

The first two prerequisites should be available from Cygwin, but you
will have to build uncrustify version 0.60 yourself.  Here is the
current cookbook that I use for doing that on Linux:

export VERSION=0.60

# Generic build:
# To find SourceForge downloads version replace
# http://sourceforge.net/projects/SOFTWARE_PACKAGE/files prefix with
# http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/SOFTWARE_PACKAGE prefix.
wget
"http://downloads.sourceforge.net/uncrustify/uncrustify/uncrustify-$VERSION/uncrustify-$VERSION.tar.gz";
# Check the contents of the downloaded tarball.
less uncrustify-$VERSION.tar.gz
#unpack it
tar zxf uncrustify-$VERSION.tar.gz
# change to the directory for building it
cd uncrustify-$VERSION

# Configure, build, and install uncrustify
./configure \
--prefix=/home/software/uncrustify/install-$VERSION \
>& configure.out
make >& make.out
make install >& make_install.out

# Check for any issues in the configure, build, or install
grep -i warn *.out
grep -i error *.out
# Change back to the original directory
cd ..

Probably you will be able to follow these directions on Cygwin, but it
will only work if you have the appropriate Cygwin autotools
(autoconf, automake, and libtool) packages installed. Also, I assume
you will want to use some other location for the installation
--prefix, but as a general rule with autotools builds, you should be
careful not to have spaces in that prefix name.

@Phil: Please let me (and Arjen and Jim) know whether this cookbook
works for you and the exact names of the autotools packages that need
to be installed on Cygwin.  In the meanwhile, I am going to be working
on a CMake-based build system for uncrustify since that utility is
obviously a necessary tool for all of our developers, and I don't want
anyone to have to deal with the extra build issues that always seem to
crop up on Windows platforms for autotools-based build systems.