On Feb 15, 2015, at 10:35 PM, "Alan W. Irwin" <ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:

> On 2015-02-15 21:15-0500 Jim Dishaw wrote:
>
>> Did the patch I sent earlier work?
>
> The last I saw from you was the patch (actually a patch series) you
> sent 3 days ago.  That got into the integrated series by Phil (which
> worked, which I think answers your question).  Because that worked,

Strange, I must have dreamt that I sent out a patch--I checked my sent mail and
it was not there.  I followed the steps you mentioned in your email when I
created that patch.  Regardless, I have  made sure my local master is current
and have attached a new patch to this email.

Actually, I just found the missing email in my outbox--they never got sent.

I think I successfully got my master updated and rebased my branch.  I have
attached a patch that captures my work relative to the current master.  I
really hope this patch works without conflicts!

I was able to generate a plot metafile, read it back in, and replot from within
the same program.  The replotted metafile is not identical at the file level--I
have not dug into why it is not.  However, it is identical to the output
generated by plrender.

I have created two new command line switches, -mfi and -mfo.  I think we need
to think about the behavior of these two command line switches.  Right now all
they do is set the filenames that should be used. Some food for thought:

mfi behavior
1) mfi only sets the filename and the programmer has to put a
plreadmetafile(NULL) in the program to read.
2) mfi sets the filename and a new plot stream will be created to handle to
generate the output
3) mfi sets the filename and it will be inserted into the beginning of the
output of plot stream 0.

mfo behavior
1) mfo only sets the filename and the programmer has to a plwritemetafile(NULL)
in the program to render the current page to the metafile (this will force
plbuf_write to 1 on all plot streams)
2) moo sets the filename (and forces plbuf_write to 1 on all plot streams) and
every page is written to the metafile