On 2015-04-05 01:17-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> On 2015-04-04 23:11-0700 Greg Jung wrote:
>
>> afaict these environment variables are essential for plots:
>>
>> PLPLOT_DRV_DIR=/usr/local/lib/plplot5.10.0/drivers
>> PLPLOT_HOME=/usr/local/share/plplot5.10.0/
>>
>> DRV_DIR for dynamic loading, to get the driver_info files (.dll files
>> are to be pick
>> up in PATH) and PLPLOT_HOME for support files:
>
> Our build system has long (since 2000 or so) superseded those
> variables which are leftovers from the days when we essentially had no
> build system at all. So setting those varaiables should _never_ be
> needed. For example, I don't use them for any of my successful
> comprehensive testing of PLplot on the Linux and MinGW/MSYS platforms.
> Furthermore, they could introduce problems for your comprehensive testing
> issues on Cygwin. For example, the comprehensive testing script uses
> its own distinct build tree and install tree so using those variables
> to point to results from an entirely different install tree could
> introduce inconsistencies and also pollute build-tree results with
> install-tree results.  So my strong advice is to drop both
> PLPLOT_DRV_DIR and PLPLOT_HOME completely on all platforms with the
> possible exception of the advice Arjen gave to work around what I
> consider to be a bug in recent classical MSYS.
>
> My guess is you are following some severely dated documentation that still
> mentions PLPLOT_DRV_DIR and PLPLOT_HOME.  Could you tell me where that
> documentation is so I can update it to the post-2000 era?
>
> Thanks very much for including the script output in the tarball. The
> error occurred in the first attempt to run make.  So if you look at
> make.out it obviously has something to do with cairo so try removing
> all the cairo device drivers from the test (using
> -DDEFAULT_NO_CAIRO_DEVICES=ON which is much more convenient
> than setting all those -DPLD variables assocated with the many
> different cairo devices to
> OFF) and run the script again.

@Greg:

There is one issue with your script output that concerns me.  To quote
the relevant section from plplotcygwin.out

ctest_command=ctest
build_command=make
cmake_command=cmake -DENABLE_qt=OFF -DENABLE_wxwidgets=OFF -DPLD_wxwidgets=OFF
traditional_build_command=make

That cmake_command is not output from the script so I assume you
inserted that to show how you aliased cmake.  Thanks for that
additional information, but that change to the cmake command will
at minimum generate warnings (when cmake should be run without options
at all for the CMake-based build of the installed examples)
and may generate subtle errors.

Instead you should simply use the script option

--cmake_added_options \
"-DENABLE_qt=OFF -DENABLE_wxwidgets=OFF -DPLD_wxwidgets=OFF"

and the script will use those options when necessary and drop them
when they should not be used.