On 2015-04-03 14:06-0700 Greg Jung wrote:

> In Cygwin, I do use the cygwin cmake; but it isn't distributed by
> cygwin, I built it from source.  At one point I tried the windows
> cmake from cygwin and it failed miserably.

@Greg:

Thanks for that clarification.  I agree that cmake built on Cygwin
should work fine to build and test PLplot on Cygwin.  Yet your results
are different from Arjen's historical good comprehensive test results
on Cygwin (where he did use the Cygwin install version of CMake).  So
either that difference is significant (which I agree is unlikely, but
you never know), there is some CMake version issue between the CMake
version you are using and the CMake version that Arjen historically
used (much more likely), something is wrong with your additional setup
on Cygwin (e.g., environment variables that you set that might
interfere with our testing framework, also fairly likely), or else
there is some comprehensive testing regression for PLplot for the
Cygwin platform.

@Arjen, Phil, and Jim:

As release manager, that latter possibility of a regression in
comprehensive testing on the Cygwin platform really concerns me, and I
ask at least one of you guys to confirm/deny that possibility by
simply running scripts/comprehensive_test.sh on Cygwin with
appropriate environmental variables set (ideally with a "source"
script that you run from using the bash "source" command to keep
everything easily and automatically reproducible) to setup the Cygwin
platform for the PLplot build and test.

N.B. I emphasize sourcing a "source" script from bash and running
scripts/comprehensive_test.sh as opposed to piece-meal tests done by
hand since (a) the script result should be completely automated and
reproducible if you have set up the platform properly, and (b)
comprehensive testing is so much more powerful than piece-meal tests.
So I would appreciate hearing from any of you quickly if you are in a
good position to run that script.

Meanwhile, I am going to continue with the release process culminating
(I hope this weekend) with starting scripts/comprehensive_test.sh for
the MinGW/MSYS/Wine case.  That result will take roughly 3 days to
complete (since Wine startup of each command is so much slower than
what happens for Microsoft Windows).  Once I have a good comprehensive
test result on MinGW/MSYS/Wine (likely Tuesday at the earliest) I plan
to go ahead with the release unless one of you confirms Greg's result
that running scripts/comprehensive_test.sh no longer works on Cygwin.