On 2016-12-26 15:18+0100 Laurent Berger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think that something is weird in wxWidgets driver. When i want to draw a
> legend or label yaxis text legend is wrong and label for x-axis on right too.
>
> I have attached png and svg file generated using x04c example (updated from
> git 10 december 2016)

Hi Laurent:

Thanks for your report, and indeed that x04.png screenshot of your -dev
wxwidgets result has obvious text orientation issues.

However, that result is for our 2016-12-10 version, and Phil had
a commit called

Fixed problem with rotated wxWidgets text

on 2016-12-13 which likely addresses the gross text orientation issues
you were seeing.  Furthermore, since that fix, there have been many more
wxwidgets-related fixes to deal with a release-critical bug (things
happening in the wrong order) that showed up on some Linux boxes.

We are still in the process of evaluating the latest version of our
fix, but it works fine for Pedro on a Windows platform and 4 Linux
platforms. It also works fine for me here on Debian Jessie, and a
final decision concerning this fix will be made when Phil gets back in
touch (probably tomorrow) after his Christmas break.

For the most recent version of this fix, I have looked carefully at
the results for example 4, and they are the same as
<http://plplot.sourceforge.net/examples.php?demo=04> except for a tiny
(1/20th to 1/10th of a character height) vertical character
misalignment issue which has been with us for quite a while with our
wxwidgets-related components.

Would you be willing to help us out with testing this most recent
version of this fix?

Here is how you do that.

(1) Look at Pedro's most recent post to PLplot-devel and copy that
tarball (called wxwidgets_experimental_commits2.tar.gz) to a local
directory.

(2) Unpack that tarball ==>
0001-wxwidgets-binding-fix-for-delayed-OnCreate-event.patch
0002-Reintroduce-OnCreate-event.patch

(3) Create a local topic branch from _the latest_ updated version
of our git master branch following the directions in
README.developers.

(4) Go to the top-level directory of that source tree and apply the
two commits above, using, e.g.,

git am < $DIR/0001-wxwidgets-binding-fix-for-delayed-OnCreate-event.patch
git am < $DIR/0002-Reintroduce-OnCreate-event.patch

where $DIR is the directory location where you have unpacked those two
patches.

The above is exactly just what I did here.  I followed up by configuring
the PLplot build with cmake using an initially empty build tree;
building the x04c, wxwidgets,
and wxPLViewer targets; and then running

examplex/c/x04c -dev wxwidgets

To generate the good results I reported above.

Please repeat this cookbook (especially starting with a fresh build
using an initially empty build tree) and report the results here
_whether they are good or bad_.  (Good strengthens the argument our
present fix is probably OK, bad means there is likely more work to do
with that fix.) Also please include in your good or bad report a
complete identification of your wxwidgets platform, i.e., your
operating system, wxwidgets version number, and gtk+ version number
(not relevant on bare Windows, but relevant on most other platforms
because typically wxwidgets is built on top of gtk+ for those other
platforms).  And if your report is bad, then a screenshot like you
just sent for the December 10th version is useful as well.

Thanks in advance for your help testing the latest version of our
wxwidgets fix in the above way.  And, of course, please ask additional
questions here if some part of the above directions is not clear
to you.