On 2023-07-20 10:55, Ryan Petris wrote:
The CPU's cheap because it's old and no one wants them anymore -- it's
of the same generation as 6000 series intel processors (i.e. skylake).
It also uses a server socket, so the only motherboards you're going to
be able to find are server motherboards. Those are going to be
expensive and/or have other quirks, such as requiring a vendor
specific heatsink, or a vendor-specific power supply, or take 5
minutes to start up, etc.

You'd be better off spending money on a last-gen cpu and motherboard,
for instance here's a combination that is relatively cheap:

$174 for an i5-12400, which according to cpubenchmark.net is nearly
30% faster than the Xeon you linked (score of 19501 vs 15146, much
faster single-core score as well):
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-12400-Desktop-Processor-Cache/dp/B09NMPD8V2/

$139 for a compatible motherboard:
https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-B760M-DS3H-AX-Motherboard/dp/B0BSP61QZC/

I also wouldn't pay so much attention to the number of "threads" you
think you'll need; you can run many VMs with a total number of virtual
processors that is much more than what you actually have, and as long
as you're not trying to go whole hog on every machine at the same time
you'll be fine, and even if you do, you'll still be better off with a
faster processor with a few fewer threads than an older slower cpu
with more.

---

Several months ago I did some research on what a vCPU is. I could not find an exact answer. What I came away thinking was a vCPU is equal to a thread. From what you are saying it sounds like a vCPU is a shared resource, so there may be more vCPUs than actual threads? Is there a way I can determine the number of vCPUs a CPU will provide?

---