Hey all, I have a Debian box that was acting as a 4 drive RAID-5 mdadm softraid server. I heard one of the drives making strange noises but mdstat reported no problems with any of the drives. I decided to copy the data off the array so I had a backup before I tried to figure out which drive it was. Unfortunately, in the middle of copying said data, 2 of the drives dropped out at the same time. Since RAID-5 is only tolerant to one failure at a time, basically the whole array is hosed now. I've had drives drop out on me before, but never 2 at once. Sigh.

I tried to Google a little about dealing with multi-drive failures with mdadm, but I couldn't find much in my initial looking. I'm going to keep digging, but I thought I'd post a question to the group and see what happens. So, is there a way to tell mdadm to "unmark" one of the 2 drives as failed and try to bring up the array again WITHOUT rebuilding it? I really don't think both of the drives failed on me simultaneously and I'd like to try to return 1 of the 2 to the array and test my theory. If I can get the array back up, I can either keep trying to copy data off it or add a new replacement and try to rebuild. I'm pretty novice with mdadm thought I don't see an option that will let me do what I want. Can anyone offer me some advice or point me in the right direction..... or am I just SOL?

As a side note, why can't hard drive manufacturers make drives that last anymore? I've had like 5 drives fail on me in the last year... WD, Seagate, Hitachi, they all suck equally! I can't find any that last for any reasonable amount of time, and all the warranties leave you with reman'd drives which fail even more rapidly, some even show up DOA. Plus, I'm not sending my unencrypted data off to some random place! Sorry for venting, just a little ticked off at all of this. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Joe