After 3.5 years in OEM hardware support WD was the least prone to
failure of them, next to hitachi then seagate. we settled on WD for
unifo0rmity easof product model numbers and price.

But we had a couple of designs that had a similar issue to yours multi
dis failures. only to find out that production of the case was
mounting fans in such a way it was baking half the drives so they were
dying due to thermals after about 6-10months.

altered one fan and life was great.

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Eric Cope <eric.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is more in regards to your last paragraph. Where are you storing your
> hard drives? What type of environment are they subjected to?
>
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Joe Fleming <j...@selectitaly.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey all, I have a Debian box that was acting as a 4 drive RAID-5 mdadm
>> softraid server. I heard one of the drives making strange noises but mdstat
>> reported no problems with any of the drives. I decided to copy the data off
>> the array so I had a backup before I tried to figure out which drive it was.
>> Unfortunately, in the middle of copying said data, 2 of the drives dropped
>> out at the same time. Since RAID-5 is only tolerant to one failure at a
>> time, basically the whole array is hosed now. I've had drives drop out on me
>> before, but never 2 at once. Sigh.
>>
>> I tried to Google a little about dealing with multi-drive failures with
>> mdadm, but I couldn't find much in my initial looking. I'm going to keep
>> digging, but I thought I'd post a question to the group and see what
>> happens. So, is there a way to tell mdadm to "unmark" one of the 2 drives as
>> failed and try to bring up the array again WITHOUT rebuilding it? I really
>> don't think both of the drives failed on me simultaneously and I'd like to
>> try to return 1 of the 2 to the array and test my theory. If I can get the
>> array back up, I can either keep trying to copy data off it or add a new
>> replacement and try to rebuild. I'm pretty novice with mdadm thought I don't
>> see an option that will let me do what I want. Can anyone offer me some
>> advice or point me in the right direction..... or am I just SOL?
>>
>> As a side note, why can't hard drive manufacturers make drives that last
>> anymore? I've had like 5 drives fail on me in the last year... WD, Seagate,
>> Hitachi, they all suck equally! I can't find any that last for any
>> reasonable amount of time, and all the warranties leave you with reman'd
>> drives which fail even more rapidly, some even show up DOA. Plus, I'm not
>> sending my unencrypted data off to some random place! Sorry for venting,
>> just a little ticked off at all of this. Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>> -Joe

Stephen