heck you can get highpoint cards for not to bad an amount that will do raid 60

they have some cheaper ones includeing a 4 port SAS pci-e 4x for 250.

Linux raid is ok, but it does not recover well if it is invovled with
your boot partition. in our storage server we are useing a 2 port raid
card and then 6 onboard ports with linux mraid.

Stephen