From: Alex Dean <a...@crackpot.org>
Subject: Re: load balanced configuration
To: "Main PLUG discussion list" <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Date: Wednesday, May 19, 2010, 3:07 PM

On May 19, 2010, at 4:07 PM, keith smith wrote:

> In a nutshell I am trying to create an automated backup that is a automated
> fail over solution.

Keep in mind that failover/HA is not the same as backup.  It makes sense that
both servers can do both jobs (you could keep your backups on both your
production servers), but the failover/replication process should not be
considered a backup process.

I understand 'high availability' to mean that both servers will have access to
the same (or nearly the same) data, so either one could be primary.  In that
case, anything which happens on your primary should automatically be
replicated/synced/whatever to your secondary.  If you get hacked and someone
does 'DROP DATABASE yourcart;', it's gone from both servers.

Making an hourly or daily backup of your data & critical files, and storing
them elsewhere, is crucial.  Then... practice the steps needed to actually use
those backups.  Discovering that your backups require 18 hours of restore time
before you can get them into production is awful.  Doubly awful if you discover
it only when you actually need to use them.  Yes, it happened to me. :)

alex