Am 25. Jul, 2010 schwätzte Technomage so:

There is a program in OpenBSd that can help with this. its called carp. you have 2 machines running, one the primary and the other the backup. if the main fails, carp kicks in and take possession if the relevant ip addresses (as far as your network is concerned, you never lost connectivity). I am not sure of they have a similar command in linux, but its worth checking on. this in combination with a live running backup of mysql would mean that you don't have to worry about manually changing ip's on the other box, it would be done automatically.

There are a couple of such tools for GNU/Linux. Carp is one of them :).

Not quite what we're talking about at this point :).

Live failover is something else we need to add to the infrastructure. That
task will take some effort to get approved.

For now, I just need to get our base setup in order and make sure I have
all backups and monitoring working.

I should be playing with carp and other such tools at home.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes        http://www.TwoGeekTechs.com/
#  Director of Engineering, FonWallet Transaction Solutions, Inc.