On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:23:12 -0700
"Michael M. Moore" <mich...@writemoore.net> dijo:

> > However, I got an error on the .gvfs file:
> >
> > j...@devil7:~$ sudo rdiff-backup
> > --include-globbing-filelist /home/jjj/rdiff_excludes.txt /
> > /media/disk2/Full_system_backup
> > ListError home/jjj/.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2/.gvfs [Errno 13] Permission
> > denied: '/home/jjj/.gvfs'

> If you don't want the error message, put it in your file list:
>
> - /home/jjj/.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2/.gvfs
> - /home/jjj/.gvfs

I have added the first one, but I got the error message about the
second one also, even though it was in the list file.

> > I also got pages and pages of additional errors. They were all of three
> > types, examples here:
> >
> > UpdateError
> > sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.1_ep00/bmAttributes
> > Updated mirror temp
> > file
> > /media/disk2/Full_system_backup/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.1_ep00/rdiff-backup.tmp.12219
> > does not match source
>
> Don't /sys/devices and other data under /sys change with each boot, or
> each time a device is mounted?  I thought one of the motivations for
> using UUIDs in /etc/fstab instead of the more traditional /dev/hda1 (or
> 2 or 3, etc) was that /dev entries are now dynamically assigned.  Sysfs
> is always going to be somewhat different between boots or mounts, as I
> understand it anyway.  I guess that begs the question, what is the value
> in backing up /sys?

I have also added /sys to the list file. We'll see.

According to the rdiff-backup wiki, the UpdateError messages seem to be
related to log files that are changing as the backup progresses.

> > Can someone translate these to English for me?
>
> Not I ... hopefully somebody else can.  I wonder if they resulted from
> the fact that you were incrementing a backup that had previously been
> created using pybackpack.  I don't know what kind of issues that can
> introduce -- it's possible that pybackpack adds some elements that
> aren't present when you're using rdiff-backup by itself.  I guess the
> thing to do would be run the job again and see if you still get the same
> errors.  If you don't, then it was just temporary dissonance caused by
> the differences in the methods you used.  If you do, it might be safer
> to delete the whole backup and do it again using rdiff-backup and only
> rdiff-backup.  Generally speaking, mixing and matching different
> programs to do the same job is probably not a good idea.  (I know
> pybackpack is supposedly just a front-end for rdiff-backup, but
> still ... it possibly introduces some subtle changes in the way
> rdiff-backup works.)

That sounds logical.

I'm going to try another backup when I go to bed tonight. I will create
a new folder for it so it will be a brand new backup created with
rdiff-backup only. We'll see how it goes.

> rdiff-backup does write a statistics file by default, though that can be
> disabled with the --no-file-statistics option.  If you want to see the
> statistics at the conclusion of the job, use the --print-statistics
> option.  Otherwise (from the man page):
>
>         STATISTICS
>         Every session rdiff-backup saves various statistics into two
>         files, the session statistics file at
>
>               rdiff-backup-data/session_statistics.<time>.data
>
>         and the directory statistics file at
>
>               rdiff-backup-data/directory_statistics.<time>.data
>
>         They are both text files and contain similar information: how
>         many files changed, how many were deleted, the total size of
>         increment files created, etc.  However, the session statistics
>         file is intended to be very readable and only describes the
>         session as a whole.  The  directory statistics file is more
>         compact (and slightly less readable) but describes every
>         directory backed up.  It also may be compressed to save space.
> These files will be in your backup directory.  There's also a log file
> for the whole job.

The log file and statistics files were not in the backup folder. Maybe
that's another thing we can blame on pybackpack.

> I'm not sure if rdiff-backup can display a progress bar.

I'll try the --terminal-verbosity 9 option and see what happens.

Ever since the backup this morning I'm getting kernel panics. I'm going
to send this and then poke around some more.