On Thu, 6 Nov 2014, King Beowulf wrote:

> same here. I almost missed it myself when I was poking around.  Seems
> these young snots keep messing with the UI design and forget about anyone
> over 40...or 50...

   Unfortunately, the adherence to the church of coolness is endemic and is
found across the range of displays, particularly on computers.

   About 20 years ago I attended a workshop in Portland on the use of color
and other factors on computer visuals for presentations. It was offered by
that local famous maker of LCD projectors (_very_ expensive at the time)
whose name I have forgotten.

   Anyway, there were two key points on the use of color: 1) keep contrast
high: light foreground text on dark background text and vice-versa; 2) the
main color theme affects the audience's emotions and impression of the
presenter.

   Not only should contrast be high, but the colors should be selected for
the size and lighting of the presentation venue. In a large room, bright
white or yellow text on a black background is not easily seen from a
distance, while black text on an off-white background is much more easily
seen at any distance. Too many Web site designers violate this concept when
they think that grey text (in a small size) on a black background represents
the bleeding edge of technology. The message it actually sends is that they
don't care about readability only their idea of what is kewel.

   Want to excite your audience? Use a lot of bright yellows and reds. It has
the visual equivalence of the aural values of a hard rock concert.
Unfortunately, it also sends the subtle message of the presenters lack of
professionalism and the presentation's seriousness. Use grays and blues and
the audience perceives you as stable, serious, professional, and telling
them something important.

   Of course, these are only two factors affecting reception of the message
and perception of the presenter. Unfortunately, I've yet to see a PowerPoint
presentation that does not violate all (or almost) all of those factors. On
the other hand (besides 5 fingers), all LaTeX beamer-class presentations
using one of the standard templates adheres to these color and contrast
principles.

   Oh! Let's not forget business cards. Many years ago I redesigned my cards
using larger fonts. The first time I used them at an industry convention
every senior executive to whom I handed a card commented, "Wow! I can read
this without my glasses!" It's only as one senesces that one appreciates
such little considerations and their effect on the card recipient's
perception of the offerer. :-)

Rich