>>>>> "Russell" == Russell Senior <russ...@personaltelco.net> writes:

>>>>> "benjamin" == benjamin barber <starwor...@gmail.com> writes:
benjamin> what would be great, is a debate about systemd

Russell> That would seem to require the existance of someone who
Russell> understood how it worked, in practice, not just in theory.  I
Russell> have yet to find such a person.

I recently installed ArchLinux on a server, which uses systemd.  The
machine has RAID1 arrays and a lvm2 device providing /home.  Recently, I
lost parts of one of drives.  At some point it hung and I rebooted, when
it came back up, it complained about /home not being available and
dropped me to a recovery root login prompt.  I'm not sure why it hung on
a missing /home.  Had it progressed, I could have patched things up over
the network.  Even after I fixed up the RAID, systemd was still unhappy.
I could login from a console, run vgchange -a y and exit and then the
network would come up and I'd get a working system.  Untangling that
will wait until I need to reboot again.  I like systemd in theory.  It's
the practice that I find problematic.

--
Russell Senior, President
russ...@personaltelco.net