On Tue, 3 Oct 2017, Russell Senior wrote:

"Paul" == Paul Heinlein <heinl...@madboa.com> writes:

Paul> On Tue, 3 Oct 2017, Dick Steffens wrote:
On 10/03/2017 07:43 AM, Paul Heinlein wrote:

I'll note that if you rent a cable modem from Comcast, but would rather use your own routing and/or wireless gear, you can ask the installer to disable wifi and use bridging mode. The tech may look at you funny, but s/he'll do it for you.

They did it for me with no funny look.

Paul> At least he didn't charge me extra for it. :-)

This is based on anecdotal, third hand information, but I have heard that those tweaks will work until they roll out new firmware, at which point the local tweaks get paved over. I don't claim that is reliable information, but it sounded very plausible.

My recollection of the process was

1. connect new modem
2. wait forever for thing to boot up
3. activate it
4. apply requested changes (wifi, bridging)
5. reboot
6. wait for firmware update
7. reboot
8. test

It could be that the firmware update in #6 was merely a reapplication of the existing firmware, with changes, but I didn't get that impression.

I guess we'll wait and see.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinl...@madboa.com