I use mainly KDE/Gnome so things are probably different with Mate,
depending on your login manager. You could change that, I guess.

On the physical PC - I start new independent graphical session by locking
the screen and starting new session with different user. Switching between
the session is done by Ctrl+Alt+F7-8-9-...

For remote multi terminal access there is ssh for text or VNC for graphical
environment.

Tomas