It is not the desktop environment doing the console, graphical or text,
switching. It is done by kernel or by X. The graphic console is being setup
by login manager - that is usually tied to the desktop environment these
days.

So if you run Ubuntu or Kubuntu you will most likely have different login
managers between them. That is what I tried to say - if you use different
login managers than the ones coming by default with KDE or Gnome - locking
the session might not give you the option to start new one.

Anyway, did you try to lock the screen - can you start new session and
login as different user from the unlock screen? If yes then you should be
able to switch between the sessions either through the lock screen or by
Ctrl+Alt+F7/8...

For different text consoles - Ctrl+Alt+F1/2/3/4/... should just work.

If I understand your question correctly.