Doubt you'll have any problems, I run a latitude with Ubuntu and a dual
monitor setup (and have done so with other previous Dell laptops) and never
had any. I do avoid things like plugging/unplugging while the laptop is
asleep though, so can't speak to that.

Might want to consider an Ubuntu blessed laptop just to let Dell know
they're on the right track:
http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/campaigns/xps-linux-laptop_us