If it would only take you a few minutes to see if the external monitors
worked on the 7450 with a mint usb stick, I would definitely appreciate it.

I thought Dell wasn't making anything but the usb-c and thunderbolt docks
now and I read some pretty bad reviews that led me to believe I needed to
give up on using a dock and just get something with 2 decent video outs on
it.

Purcell

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Matt McKenzie <lnxkni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 12:19 PM c <cbpurc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm starting to research laptop options for my new work machine. I like
> > run ubuntu and I really want to get a laptop that I can connect to my 2
> > desktop monitors for most of my use. (yes I basically want something that
> > functions like a docked machine/desktop, except for the ability to take
> it
> > to meetups, travelling, etc.)
> >

> For this kind of use case, I would suggest look into a laptop that can use
> a dock.
> You mention Dell Precision, that is one way to go.
>
> I would also suggest looking into Dell Latitude, if you are not opposed to
> used models.
> The current Latitudes no longer have the Dell e-port that supports the
> hardware dock (that connects directly to the motherboard PCI bus, not USB).
> The last e-port capable Latitudes I think are 7470 or somewhere around
> there.
> Our current issue laptops at $work are 7480s and have USB-C for docking, no
> more e-port dock.
>
> But if you go with say a 7470, or 7450, and an e-dock, you can connect dual
> monitors with DisplayPort or DVI, and its connected directly to PCI bus and
> not USB.
>
> I have a 7450 here with dock and monitors, I can throw a live Fedora or
> Mint USB stick on it and test if you would like the results.
>

> > I think that as long as I get something with a discrete video card, I
> > should be fine with connecting 2 external monitors with one rotated 90
> > degrees. I tried with a laptop with onboard graphics and rotated monitors
> > would never work. From some research it looks like. Other people have had
> > luck with multiple external monitors and rotation on linux as long as
> they
> > were using nvidia cards.
> >
> > Anyone on the LUG running a Dell precision laptop with multiple external
> > monitors? Just curious if anyone had found they had an easy or a
> miserable
> > time with them.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Purcell