I suspected that you will have problem with using DAS when you were looking
for that while back. Most people do. That is what NAS are meant to solve.

Given what you have - I suggest connecting your DAS permanently to your
always on desktop or Synology NAS. Export the storage over NFS or CIFS or
both. Use it over network using autofs everywhere. No more messing with USB
sticks.

Note: If you chose to do this - check and synchronize UIDs before our
start. It doesn't matter over NFS/CIFS on NAS, but it does on your DAS.

Not saying that you do not deserve new laptop every once in a while :-)
Just do not expect miracles. --- Clean Ubuntu install on your laptop after
10+ distro in place upgrades would probably speed things up considerably in
your current setup.

On mSATA - current generation of laptops/desktops use NVMe instead. It
looks the same (except the notches), but it is much faster (2-3x) and it is
not backwards compatible with mSATA.

Tomas