On 1/21/20 9:59 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 08:41:51 -0800
Dick Steffens <d...@dicksteffens.com> dijo:

This morning I noticed my machine running slowly. I didn't learn
anything from top, and was thinking of restarting the box. Before I
got that far I received a notice from Ubuntu that there was an update
or some such. I ran that update. It wanted to restart the machine.
When the machine came back up, not only was the resolution low, but
only one monitor worked. (I have an nVidia card.)
The first question is which piece of your hardware is creating the
screen display. If you have an Intel CPU then it probably also has a
video component, so you may not be using the nVidia card. Therefore,
the first step is to do 'lshw -c video' which will give you the
hardware information.

rsteff@ENU-2:~$ sudo lshw -c video
[sudo] password for rsteff:
  *-display UNCLAIMED
       product: GF119 [GeForce GT 610]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: a1
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e8000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff

<...>

The lshw command should also give you the exact model number of your
nVidia card. Once you have that, open Synaptic and search on nVidia to
see which drivers you have loaded. It is not unheard of for Ubuntu to
be using the wrong driver. I recently ran into a case where there were
\textbf{three} different nVidia drivers installed, and none were the
right one for the hardware. Synaptic should give you which nVidia cards
each of the numerous packages supports. And finally, if all that fails,
nvidia.com has Linux drivers that you can download as .deb or .rpm
packages.

Synaptic shows a number of things related to nVidia 390. So that's what's installed, but it seems it's not being used, if I interpret

A DuckDuckGo search implies that I need to disable secure boot. I'll have a look and see if it is enabled and try that. Maybe something in the update added something with an unsigned mumble-mumble.

I'll report back after rebooting.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens