On 1/21/20 3:36 PM, Ben Koenig wrote:
Since nouveau isn't loading, you have at least part of the nvidia driver
installed. But, for some reason the nvidia.ko module is not loading.

The easiest thing to do here would be to uninstall/reinstall the nvidia
driver. This will force it to recompile the kernel interface and refresh
any other files that were lost. it might also be a good idea to run updates
before you reinstall the driver. I bet it pulled in a kernel update, but
for some reason the DKMS scripts weren't triggered, which will cause
exactly this issue. The nvidia module has to be rebuilt every time the
kernel is updated so when this happens reinstalling the driver usually
forces it to do the rebuild.

Verify that you only have 1 version of the nvidia drivers installed to
prevent conflicts, and then reinstall all packages associated with that
version. After a reboot it should load nvidia.ko and put everything back in
it's rightful place.

I'll try that next.

However, I also can't start VirtualBox. Some of my reading points to:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEFI/SecureBoot/DKMS

Does this make any sense? Or do I need to do for VirtualBox what you recommend for nVidia?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens