> That is what I was thinking based on the other Cisco doc I read all I need
> to do is set both of the two fibre links up as trunks and it should work,
> but there is another one that also said the part about tagging. I have VLAN
> 20 (the VLANS are 1, 10 and 20) on port 50 on both ends, I have also removed
> it but still no joy.\

Just to be clear, with port based vlans, which is what you have, a port can
only belong to 1 untagged vlan. So when you have a port set to untagged w.
the pvid set, then that port will only be in the default / native vlan,
which is VLAN 1 on most network equipment vendors. This is often used as
the management vlan.

However, you can only have 1 untagged vlan per port. Any other vlans you
want that port to handle must be tagged. Otherwise, all those packets will
be treated as they're part of the default / native vlan.

Which seems to be what you have configured. VLAN 1 untagged pvid on P49 and
VLAN 20 untagged pvid on P50 on both switches.

And that makes me reconsider my earlier statement:

Switch B

> 49 GE49 Enabled Disabled STP Root 20000 128 Forwarding
> 32768-f0:29:29:f5:43:bd 128-97 0 1
> 50 GE50 Enabled Disabled STP Alternate 20000 128 Discarding
> 32768-f0:29:29:f5:43:bd 128-98 0 0
> This one says discarding for port 50, so suspect that is the issue.

Normally, the way this is designed and configured when there's multiple
uplinks is to create a LAG or MLT, a trunk group that carries all VLANs.
This provides more bandwidth and failover redundancy.

But you haven't said anything about a LAG configuration and if you don't
have any traffic traversing P50, if memory serves until you take the fibre
link down on P49. Is that correct?

Therefore, if you want this to work you will have to tag vlan 10, 20 on
port 49 and port 50 and you will have only 1 active uplink over which all
VLANs traverse.

Then in the event of a failure of the active uplink, Spanning Tree will
reconfigure and use P50.

Does that make sense at all? This is difficult to troubleshoot and explain
over email without the configs.