More info, this was the reply I got from the manufacturer
-----------------------SoF------------------------------------------
Radio Thermostat <radiothermos...@tstatsupport.com>
1:10 PM (3 hours ago)
to Info, me
Hi,

If you are sure you have a WiFi module in the thermostat Model - RTMV-01

Then check out the following to see and correct the time zone so the
thermostat will have the correct time:

How to change time zone

First go to the web portal via a browser
*https://my.radiothermostat.com/rtcoa/login.html
<https://my.radiothermostat.com/rtcoa/login.html>*

(Note you will need to use the desktop version of the web site)

Then log in and go to the person (then select location)

select the location you want and click edit

Go to the pull down for time zone and select your time zone

Then click save

-----------------------------------EoF---------------------------------
This is exactly what I have tried to avoid, I never registered
the thermostat with their cloud. I have my personal reasons
for not wanting my devices on someone's cloud if I can avoid
it. in this case that is exactly what I have tried to do.

Now meantime, since the thermostat IP is static, I went into
the firewall and set up a rule to drop any packets to/from
the thermostat. No more time change, and I did that well over
and hour ago. I can still control the device on my LAN just
dropping whatever is trying to reach the thermostat.

This brings up the question, of who/what is it? I never
registered the device with their cloud, indeed I bought
it because it was one of the thermostats that did not
require you to use an outside network to access it, (I am
looking at you Honeywell, Nest and all of the rest of the
cloud only based devices). Now to see if I can get Wire
shark on a part of the network that can see that device.
Suspend the rule and try to catch the packet session.